Students highly interested in this course and trip should consider the following details:
- To secure your spot in the course, starting on October 7th you can pay your $200 deposit to the Avila business office in person at Blasco Hall (Monday-Friday, 8 AM-5 PM). For the first 16 students who do this, they will be automatically enrolled in the course. Additional students will then be put on the waitlist. For all enrolled students, the deposit is nonrefundable.
- The course limit will not exceed 16 students so please register as soon as possible. That said, students may waitlist for the course in the event that a student enrolled in the course drops in the time between October 7th, 2015, and January 6th, 2016. All waitlisted students must pay the $200 deposit to be waitlisted and a total of 7 students will be allowed on the waitlist. Waitlisted students who are not admitted to the class list will receive a full refund of the $200 deposit. No refunds will be issued once students have moved off the waitlist and are enrolled into the class.
- The total cost for the course trip (i.e. lab fee) is $1600. The balance of the lab fee after you put down your deposit (i.e., $1400) is due on January 6th, 2016, unless students who would like to take advantage of the Avila payment plan. For more information about the Avila payment plan, see here or contact the Business Office in advance (t: 816.501.3700).
- Once you have been enrolled and paid your total lab fee of $1600 ($200 deposit + $1400 remaining amount), take a deep breath and bask in the thought that you are about to embark on an incredibly exciting adventure!
- If you are a U.S. citizen and do not have a passport, immediately apply for a passport here. If you already possess a U.S. passport, be sure the expiration date is after November 28, 2016. If you are not a U.S. citizen, check with your country of origin to determine how to obtain a visa to travel to Guatemala. Students without the proper documentation cannot travel to Guatemala (i.e., a valid passport and (for non-US citizens) a visa). Contact email@example.com for assistance if you are not a U.S. citizen.
- Visit with your physician and determine what vaccinations they recommend that you receive. Follow her/his advice and counsel in making your own decision on any needed vaccinations and medications.